Fresh Skillet Tomato Sauce and Parmesan Egg – This is the ultimate breakfast for one. You know those days when you get everyone dressed fed and out the door and then you finally realize you are starving and haven’t eaten? Try this one out. It’s a quick and easy fresh tomato sauce all made in the skillet and then an egg cooked right on top. One stop shop. One pan does it all. I even eat out of the skillet. For a larger group just use a bigger skillet and double or triple the recipe depending on how many you are serving! see also : Turkey and Tomato Soup Recipe
- 3 Campari tomatoes, sliced in half
- Pinch, red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 Egg
- Shaved Parmesan
- Fresh basil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Heath the small cast iron skillet over medium heat and add in the extra virgin olive oil. When hot add the tomatoes, cut side down to the pan and sprinkle with the pinch of red pepper flakes and a little salt and pepper.
- Let the tomatoes cook and start to break down for about 5-7 minutes. The tomatoes will start to get soft on top if you push on them with a spatula. And you can easily remove the skins, if desired.
- Add in the garlic, wine, and sugar and cook down until the sauce thickens a little, pressing and crushing the tomatoes with a spatula or fork to help them break down, approximately 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Preheat the broiler and add a fresh egg to the pan, season with salt and pepper and top with a few shaves of parmesan cheese. Place the skillet about 3 inches from the broiler and cook to desired doneness. For a runny yolk approximately 4-5 minutes (depends on how close to the broiler).
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve with crusty bread . see also : Best chicken parmesan recipe