Sea salt is a term used for unrefined salt which is obtained by the natural evaporation of sea water contained within man-made pools which are located close to a protected shoreline. Sea salt is distinct from table salt due to its composition because it consists of 98% sodium chloride and 2% minerals such as iron, magnesium, iodine and sulfur where as the table salt boasts of 99.9% sodium chloride with just a trace of other minerals. see also : Health Benefits Of Yoga
Since sea salt is a product of a natural process its taste varies from table salt due to the fact that it does not contain added sugar, anti caking ingredients or potassium iodide and this is why sea salt is considered to lend flavor to the food rather than making it salty. Sea salt is an important ingredient in the preparation of gourmet cuisine, in the various skin care treatments in the cosmetic industry and its individual components are used for a number of purposes like water purification and as a part of saltwater aquariums. The sea salt derived from the salt marshes of France is grayish in color where as the sea salt obtained from other parts of the world has a pinkish tinge to it which proves that organic sea salts have a tendency to retain the unique attributes of the region to which they belong and can even be identified by experienced gourmet chefs on the basis of their appearance and taste.
Being a natural product, sea salt is beneficial to the human body in many ways, some of which are listed as follows:
- Sea salt is a natural source of antihistamine which makes it particularly beneficial for asthmatic and sinus patients who are recommended to sprinkle a pinch or two of sea salt on the surface of the tongue after having consumed a couple of glasses of water. The benefits in this regard include clearing of sinus cavities, relief from asthma and cleaning the lungs of the mucous plugs and phlegm.
- The intake of sea salt is said to reduce the probability of heart diseases and heart attacks because it helps in regulating the irregular heartbeats and also assists in controlling the high blood pressure.
- It is one of the few natural ingredients which are useful for diabetics because of being able to regulate the level of sugar in the bloodstream.
- The legendary benefits of bathing with sea salt obtained from the Dead Sea is proof of the ability of this compound to treat skin related disorders like psoriasis, tendonitis and osteoarthritis. This ability stems from the fact that sea salt is rich in minerals which make it an important constituent of skin care products, exfoliants, scrubs, antiperspirants and deodorants.
- Sea salt is said to be extremely beneficial for athletes because in addition to maintaining a proper balance of electrolytes in the body and enhancing energy levels it prevents muscle cramps and helps to improve upon the muscle tone and strength.
- When sea salt is added to food it imparts a distinct flavor which is utilized by the chefs particularly while preparing dishes belonging to the French and Thai cuisine. Gourmet chefs also use sea salt to form a crust on baked potatoes because even though it is a salt it does not make the food excessively salty.
The ideal examples to showcase the numerous benefits of sea salt are surfers who spend a lot of time in sea water as a result of which they are healthier, happier and more focused than others who stay away from the sea. Sometimes, people consciously include sea salt in their diets by sprinkling it on their food but in doing so one must be cautious of the quantity of sea salt which is consumed on a daily basis. The famous proverb ‘too much of anything is bad’ sums up the warning as excess intake of sea salt may result in overloading of our body with sodium which may result in more harm than good.