If you want to create a garden that truly reflects your personality and lifestyle, you need to do some careful planning. Generally, plantings are the core elements of a garden, but there are so many other things that you need to consider. For instance, when know about the different materials you need when building a garden you can make the right decisions.
Before starting this project, you can do a rough draft on paper to visualise how the different elements would look. This will prevent you from digging up the yard if you realize that you forget an important element while building your garden. The garden design ideas below will help you to make some decisions about the materials that you will need. see also : Great Screening Ideas For Your Garden
In addition to getting plants, pots and making flowerbeds, you can think about building a path and driveway with asphalt or brick pavers. A good idea would be to use paving bricks, shrubs or plants as decorative edging to give your path and driveway a new look. When creating a walkway, you can also include labyrinth or maze using different materials like stones, pebbles, grasses, mulch or hedges.
You should also decide on the type of seating that you want, whether a grassy knoll, bench or chair. It’s also a good idea to decide on the seating area, you could have it in a shaded or sunny section of the garden. When deciding on the garden materials, you need to give some thought to what you want to use as the focal point. This can be a fountain, sculpture, gate, rock, tree, topiary, wind chimes or even a cluster of flowers.
For your front yard landscaping, you can add ornaments to your garden. This could be something that is large and bold in full view or maybe a small sculpture that is tucked away. You can also think about adding arbors that you can see from the front of your yard, this would connect your backyard to the entrance.
Here are some of the materials you need when building a garden:
When creating any kind of garden, the landscape supplies will cost you the most. If you have to get quality soil, rock, timber, pavers and various other materials, this will cost you a lot more.
Soil: In case you have to get soil for your garden, its best to choose one with an even texture. Since the quality of the soil will help to determine how well the plants grow, you need to choose the right one to complement what is already in your yard. The poorer soils will have lots stones or clay clumps. see also : Five Affordable Fencing Ideas For Your Garden
Rocks: Adding rocks to your garden design will help to create a great feature. These can be used to give your garden a more natural look especially with plants hanging over the top or as sharp edges that define certain areas of the garden. Rocks with attractive faces can be used to build a garden wall. There are many different types of rocks available ranging from grey volcanic to yellow sandstones.
Stepping stones: These are definitely must-have accessories for your garden. You can use them to create beautiful paths, edging around trees or bushes, outline flowerbeds, stone wall or to emphasize flowers and shrubs close to your patio or porch. Garden stepping stones can be natural rocks or concrete molds. If you want, you could personalize the stones to create a customized walkway to your garden or front door. The possibilities are limitless when using these stones, whether they are homemade or natural rock.
Garden cement: Some people use cement as a cost-effective solution to create concrete molds. So, you might want to add cement to the list if you want to make concrete molds at home to use as the stepping stones. The cement stones can last for many years and they are very beautiful. All you have to do is buy some cement mixture, sealer, stain and coloring and you will get to create inexpensive garden stones.
Gravel or Pebbles: These can be used as a feature or as a base for your garden paving. To create a garden feature, you can choose coloured pebbles or gravel with the same size. This could be a combination of colours or a uniform colour. The gravel for your garden paving must be aesthetically pleasing with different sizes that can create a stable base.
Chippings: These are used when bordering gardens, pathways, ponds, plants or water features. Some of the materials used to make chippings include terracotta, candystone and claydale. You should know that chippings are closely related to pebbles.
Granite setts: Made from natural stone, these paving cubes are hard-wearing so they are perfect for driveways and any other high traffic area. You can arrange them to create attractive curving, circular or interlocking designs as well as a simple grid design. Even though these are a bit of expensive, they can be used in many ways to add textural interest garden areas which are paved with slabs.
Woodstone: These have the appearance, texture and colour of timber, but they are durable like concrete. Woodstone have lots of uses as they are ideal for patios, paths, border details, stepping stones in garden gravel, steps, compost bins, raised flower beds and garden features.
Timber: This is an important garden material as it is needed to build retaining walls, fencing and other structures. There are different types of timber that you can use in your garden. These include hardwood, which is durable and solid, plus treated softwood pine that is easy-to-work with and much cheaper.
Garden decking: Generally, a decking is made from wood, but you can use other materials such as brick, tile or concrete. If you want a traditional and natural look, the wooden decking materials will be the ideal choice. The wooden materials can withstand daily exposure to wind, sun and other elements.
Paving: When you incorporate stone paving in your garden designs this will give your outdoor space a great look. This can be in the form of bricks (pavers), slabs, blocks and tiles. A paving can provide access to your garden throughout the seasons as well as add some contrast to shrubs or plants. This can be a series of garden stones going to the driveway or a wide path. Ensure that you choose a style that will complement the hard landscaping in the surroundings like low patio walls.
Garden fencing: You need fencing in your garden for security and decorative purposes. The best thing about garden fences is that you can hide them easily with climbing plants and creepers. Wood or wrought iron fences are the most secure and sturdiest options available. However, you can also consider other options such as dry stone wall, bamboo fencing, rusty iron fencing, brick garden fencing and much more. Keep in mind that the bamboo, dry stone, brick and rusty iron options will be a lot of cheaper, plus they will require less maintenance.
There are many different types of walling products available for you to add privacy and attractive dimensions like raised planters or seating areas to your garden.
Garden drainage pipes: A good irrigation system is a very important element for every garden. This includes drip systems, sprinklers and garden drainage. With proper garden drainage, you will get to have a beautiful outdoor space with a structure that is not vulnerable to foundation damage. After choosing the best area for your home garden based on the shade and sunlight, you have to check the drainage before planting.
There are several ways that you get a good drainage system for your garden. One of the easiest and most popular methods is to use add soil and dirt to create slopes and hills. But, garden drainage pipes might be the ideal solution because this method will not work in every area. You should install garden drainage pipes before completing any work in your garden. Ensure that these pipes are invisible at the end of the garden project. Note that garden drainage will ensure the health and prosperity of the plants as well as the safety of your house.
Garden pots: There are many different garden pots available today in a variety of materials, sizes and styles. Garden pots will make it easy for you to have a successful home garden, because they don’t need a lot of space and can be used almost anywhere. Since these will play a vital role in the look of your garden, you can find some of the options that you can choose from below:
- Terracotta pots: These are made from reddish clay and are used mostly for pottery. When planting, it’s best to water down terracotta pots before adding the soil.
- Stone pots: These days, stone pots are made with a combination of limestone and various other materials, but they look just like solid stone. As of such, they are durable and lightweight. They offer many advantages and can be used in a number ways, just like the concrete ones below.
- Concrete pots: These pots are ideal for plants that you are not planning to move, due to their heavy weight. Concrete pots are much thicker than the ceramic types, so they will not crack easily. These pots will give your garden a permanent look.
- Ceramic pots: Since these pots are glazed, they are available in the widest selection of colours. One of the drawbacks of using ceramic pots is that they will crack or chip easily, so you have to handle them with care when moving or cleaning. During the cold winter, you can put them inside to prevent cracking.
- Fiberglass pots: Some of these pots are made to look just like concrete, clay or stone pots. These are also made with a glossy appearance to look like the glazed ceramic pots. One of the main advantages of using fiberglass pots in your garden is that they are durable and lightweight.
- Metal pots: Garden pots made from metal always have a unique look. If you choose steel and copper types, you will get durable pots that will also change appearance overtime. You can apply a rust coating to care for metal garden pots.
- Wood pots: Although wood planters are technically not pots, they will be great choices if you want the garden to exude natural beauty. Generally, wood planters are made from pine, redwood, cedar and teak. The cedar and redwood will resist rot naturally so you don’t have to paint them. If you want your wooden planters to last for a long time, you can use stain, paint and waterproofing sealers. Besides that, the planters will last for many years if you use plastic to line the inside or put the soil in clay pots and then set them in the planters.
- Resin pots: These pots are made from polyethylene, which is a high-quality material that will not crack or chip like the clay pots. Furthermore, resin pots are able to withstand constant exposure to extreme temperatures.
In conclusion, you should know that man-made or natural products that you choose or the designs and patterns used in your garden will make a huge difference in the overall look. Some of the other things to consider include the long term durability, ease of installation as well as the cost of the materials. In the end, with creative garden design ideas and high quality landscaping materials, you will get to build a beautiful garden at home.