Ectopic Pregnancy – It is an abnormal type of pregnancy in which implantation of the embryo occurs outside the uterus. Implantation may occur at the fallopian tube, ovaries cervix or somewhere in the abdomen. An ectopic pregnancy is scientifically referred to as Eccyesis. Research and statistics point out that about 10% of deaths in the first trimester of pregnancy are contributed by this. If you are suspicious of an ectopic pregnancy signs and symptoms which you can look out for are:
- Light or heavy amounts of vaginal bleeding.
- Severe abdominal pain that occurs in varying intensities.
- Experiences of constant and recurring nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.
Treatment of Ectopic Pregnancies
A medical solution is available for ectopic pregnancies. As the first step you need to book an appointment with a doctor who will carry out some ultrasounds tests in order to clearly establish if it’s an ectopic pregnancy, what type it is, and the stage of the pregnancy. If an ectopic pregnancy is detected it is treated as an emergency since the life of the mother may be at risk. see also : Trouble Getting Pregnant
Depending on results of the tests, the doctor is able to recommend the most effective type of treatment. Apart from a few cases where transplantation of the fetus to the womb was performed, majority of successful treatments involve death of fetus through abortion. There are two types of treatments associated with ectopic pregnancies.
- Use of a Methotrexate– In a case where the ectopic pregnancy has been detected early, a drug known as Methotrexate is administered. This drug results into an abortion and the embryo passes out as menstrual flow.
- Surgical Treatment– If the pregnancy is older, surgical intervention is the most effective treatment. According to the effects caused by the pregnancy the surgeon may decide to get rid of the embryo only or both the embryo and the affected fallopian tube incase of tubal pregnancies.
Before receiving treatment most doctors recommend that you should maintain a mobile posture and move around a lot; it is a pain relieving technique. This reduces or prevents swelling in the abdominal cavity which causes intense abdominal pain.
If you experience any abnormalities due to a pregnancy it is advisable for you to consult a doctor early. This will ensure that the pregnancy is fine and also guarantees your safety. In case anything is detected, early treatment is always the best option. see also : Spotting the Earliest Signs of Pregnancy